I don’t bake much, but this Lemon Blueberry Loaf was great for a summertime sweet. It is light and fluffy and made with fresh lemons and blueberries. Great for brunch with the girlies or even an after-dinner dessert.
This loaf is super easy to make and is definitely beginner friendly. A big hit with all the kiddos in my family, this lemon blueberry loaf was highly anticipated while it baked in the oven.
To make Lemon Blueberry Loaf you’ll need:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Powdered sugar
- Sour cream
- Vegetable oil
- Lemon juice/lemon zest
- A loaf pan
Step By Step:
Prep: Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and preparing the loaf pan. Next, sift all dry ingredients into a bowl: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Then mix all liquid/wet ingredients into a larger bowl: eggs, vanilla, vegetable oil, sour cream, and lemon zest. Lastly, toss your blueberries in 1 Tbsp flour until covered.
Cook: Slowly pour dry ingredients into the large bowl mixing until smooth. Gently fold blueberries into the batter. Once combined, pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and place in the oven to cook for 55 minutes. Check the bread with a toothpick, if it comes out clean loaf is done.
Serve: Prepare lemon glaze by sifting powdered sugar into a bowl and mixing in lemon juice. Remove the loaf from the oven then using a toothpick, poke holes all over the loaf, top and sides.
Brush the lemony syrup on the top and the sides of the loaf and then let cool for 10 minutes.
Fresh or frozen: While the recipe calls for fresh blueberries you can easily swap them for frozen berries if needed. The taste of the loaf will remain the same. However, it is recommended to use fresh lemons since lemon zest is called for.
Yogurt or Sour Cream: There are different varieties of this loaf so if you don’t have sour cream available that ingredient can be swapped for plain yogurt.
Lemon Blueberry Loaf
Lemon blueberry loaf is a delicious light and fluffy treat and made with fresh lemons and blueberries
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- 2 to 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350*
- Prepare a loaf pan by putting grease on the sides and bottom.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla, sour cream, and lemon zest. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the large bowl and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, add the tbsp of flour to the blueberries and then fold gently into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes. If a toothpick comes out clean the bread is done remove from the oven.
- In a small bowl, mix the powdered sugar with the lemon juice and let it dissolve.
- Using a toothpick, poke holes all over the top and sides of the loaf.
- Brush the lemon syrup on the top and the sides. Let it set for 10 minutes before serving.