If you haven’t noticed already, I love chicken. It’s versatile and I can make just about anything with it. It just so happens I love a good stew as well. While I usually try to keep my stews and soups for the winter months we were just blessed with a random mini cold front!
Just like any stew, the main components of this dish are protein and root vegetables, such as potatoes and carrots. For this recipe I use bone-in chicken thighs with the skin, however, drumsticks or boneless thighs can be substituted. In my recipe, I also do not include potatoes but that is because of a family preference.
This dish is based on the Latin American dish pollo guisado which literally translates to “chicken stew”. And includes a sofrito – tomato base, olives, and seasoning like adobo and cumin.
I also add a bit more spice – Adding peppers, chili powder, red pepper flakes, etc.
Step by step:
- Add oil to pot on medium heat and place chicken thighs skin down. Sear for 5-7 minutes then sear other side.
- Add in onions, bell peppers, garlic, and carrots.
- Add in sofrito and tomato sauce coating chicken and vegetables
- Next add in 3 bay leaves and olives.
- Reduce heat and cover.
While the stew finishes, the house will be filled with the lovely aromatic smell of comfort food. After 30 minutes, turn off the heat and serve!
Chicken Stew (Pollo Guisado)
Flavorful chicken stew with tender vegetable
- 1lb chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp Adobo seasoning
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 8oz tomatoes sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Sofrito
- 1/2 cup green olives
- 3 bay leaves
- Dice onions, garlic, carrots, and bell peppers.
- Season chicken with Adobo seasoning, cumin, and black pepper.
- On medium heat, add oil to a pot and place chicken thighs skin down.
- Sear for 5-7 minutes then sear the other side.
- Add diced vegetables, sofrito, tomato sauce, and chicken broth covering the chicken.
- Next, pour in olives and bay leaves.
- Reduce heat and cover the pot for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and serve.