As I look at the previous recipes I’ve shared, I realized it looks like my family doesn’t eat vegetables. Ha! I promise we do. Healthy balanced meals over here everybody. I just usually serve them on the side. But it made me decide that this week’s recipe would be Peppered Chicken and if you haven’t guessed…. it comes with some veggies!
I love peppered chicken, but I’m a huge bell pepper lover. So if you’re like me and love the greens, reds, and orange bell pepper – this one is just for you.
For this recipe, I grab 2 bell peppers, some garlic, an onion, and some chicken. Slice up my peppers and onion, then mince my garlic. Put those to the side while I mix up all my seasoning – if you’re a TBM follower, you know my go-to seasoning:
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Cajun Seasoning
- Black Pepper
And for this recipe, I also use some thyme and brown sugar. I evenly coat all my chicken pieces with the majority of the seasoning mix, saving a little bit to season the veggies I cut up. Once my chicken is generously seasoned, I add my bell peppers, onion, and garlic into a baking dish and toss them in the remaining seasoning. Then I place the chicken directly on top and throw some butter around the chicken pieces.
This dish is a really simple and easy meal to pop in the oven and let cook for about an hour depending on what chicken you use. For quick nights, I usually make wings but on several different occasions, I’ve used bone-in thighs. Both delicious. But if you’re cooking the thighs make sure to cook them for the full hour to give them a crispy outside.
- 1 lb chicken wings or bone-in thighs
- 2 bell peppers
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- Preheat over to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine all seasoning.
- Slice onions, bell peppers, and mince garlic.
- In a bowl, apply 3/4 of the mixed seasoning to the chicken. Make sure to coat all chicken pieces evenly.
- Dump onions, bell peppers, and garlic into a baking pan and coat in the remaining seasoning.
- Add chicken directly on top of vegetables.
- Place butter throughout the baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.