Nothing says easy like throwing all of your ingredients into a pan, tossing it in the oven, and calling it dinner. And if you don’t know by now, I love an easy meal so this week we’re making baked barbecue chicken and sausage.
This meal is one I grew up eating when my mama needed a quick and easy dinner plan. I remember as kids, my brother and I loved bbq chicken. Then I got older and it wasn’t really a go-to for me. But now that I have kids of my own… BBQ chicken is back and better than ever!
For BBQ chicken and sausage you’ll need a pound of chicken drumsticks, a pound of sausage (of your choosing, we use 100% beef sausages), onion powder, black pepper, garlic powder, creole seasoning, and barbecue sauce.
I kick things off by chopping up my sausage and then I season my chicken. Once the chicken is seasoned I add it to my baking pan with the sausage on top. The last step – drown in barbecue sauce. My kids love bbq sauce so we do not using sparingly. Then I toss it in the oven and let it cook for about an hour while I make some sides.
Super easy, super convenient. This dish can be modified to feed more people if needed without causing too much of a hassle. And it’s a bit hit with all my kiddos.
- Chicken – This meal can easily substitute the drumsticks with thighs. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time as needed
- Barbecue Sauce – I like to switch it up now and then with different flavors. We’ve used Sweet Baby Ray’s traditional, honey, hickory & brown sugar, and sweet ‘n got. (A personal favorite)
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken & Sausage
Tasty barbecue chicken and sausage.
- 1lb Chicken Drumsticks
- 1lb Sasuge
- 12 oz barbecue sauce
- 1 tsp creole seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Chop sausage into coin slices.
- Season chicken with the creole season, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Place chicken into an oven-safe pan and cover with sliced sausage.
- Pour barbecue sauce over chicken and sausage.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook in the oven for 30min.
- Remove the foil and cook for the remaining time.
- Remove the dish from the oven when the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165ºF.